Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Why I created this blog

My name is Krystle and I've been a Speech Language Pathologist for 6 years.  I must preface this blog by saying that I LOVE my job and all the kids with whom I have had the pleasure of working.  What I love most about my job is that everyday is different.  While the job can be frustrating at times with paperwork and meetings, my joy comes from actually getting to sit down and working with these kids and listening to the things they have to say, and boy do they have things to say!    

The kids I work with have a variety of special needs such as Autism, Down's Syndrome, cognitive delay, Speech or Language Impairment, etc.  The "-isms," as I'm calling them, can be a result of pragmatic language disorder or language disorder.  And while most of the time, these "-isms" make me laugh, a lot of the time, these moments turn into teaching moments.  We're able to discuss the appropriateness of what to say in that situation and what to do next time.

Either way, hope you'll be as entertained as I was by the "-isms" of my students.  

No comments:

Post a Comment