Monday, May 20, 2013

Bieber versus Beaver

Every Wednesday, I go into a classroom to do a speech lesson on various higher level language or pragmatic language topics and before I began my lesson one day, one of my students, we'll call him TJ, initiated conversation with me by saying:

"Ms. Sabio, I hate Justin Beaver.  Sometimes I just want to go on Facebook and spray paint his face."

As funny as I thought that was (because I myself am not a Justin Beiber fan), I had to use this as a teaching moment (so many of those!).  You can't do that to people on FB, blah, blah, it's a form of cyber bullying, he never did anything to you, etc...  Then I asked him why he hated Justin Bieber.  "I hate him because he has all of this money and I don't have any of it."Another teaching moment on jealousy was discussed. 

Me:  Well, he worked really hard to earn all of that money.  You've got to do the same if you want to be successful.

TJ:  Ok (he said begrudgingly).  

Another student chimes in, "yeah, I don't like Justin Beaver either, he looks like a girl!"  and other students proceed to go on "yeah, looks like a girl," or "I really don't like Justin Beaver!"

Me:  You guys know that it's Justin BeiBer with a "b" right? Not Beaver?"

Student (in a very annoyed tone):  I bet he has a beaver...

I immediately ended the conversation and began my lesson.  That could've gone a whole 'nother direction :-/


  

No comments:

Post a Comment