Thursday, May 23, 2013

The New North Pole

A student of mine (Justin "Beaver" hater), who is seventeen with Autism, has been perseverating on the existence of Santa Claus these past few weeks.  Several times he has mentioned to me that he gets very upset when people tell him that Santa Claus doesn't exist and that he is really our parents.  This is how a recent conversation went with him.

TJ:  Ms. Sabio, are you looking forward to December?
Me:  Well, I'm looking forward to my summer first and then I look forward to the holidays in December.  Are you looking forward to December?
TJ:  Yes I am.
Me: How come?
TJ:  I'm excited to prove a rumor wrong that has been going on for millions of centuries.
Me:  So what are you going to prove wrong in December?
TJ:  That Santa is NOT actually our parents!
Me:  How are you going to prove that?
TJ:  Well, I'm going to go to Lancaster with a group of people.
Me:  What's in Lancaster?
TJ:  Where we'll see Santa and his sleigh take off.
Me:  Why can't you see that here in Santa Clarita?
TJ:  I have a better view in Lancaster.

There you have it folks.  Santa Claus begins his Christmas eve in Lancaster.  Lancaster has been described as dry, dirty, bleak, the second armpit of California, and even the methamphetamine capital of the US.  Why Santa Claus would choose to begin Christmas eve from there is beyond me.


No comments:

Post a Comment