Friday, May 17, 2013

Filters

A lot of students I work with have difficulty using filters during conversation, which is one of the characteristics of a pragmatic language disorder.  While I'm sharing this story for the purpose of humor, these incidents are prime examples of student difficulties with social language and also an example of teaching moments. In these teaching moments, i explain why their comments were inappropriate and it's also a chance to discuss better choices of words next time around.

I was working with a small group one day, and we'll call them *John, *Mike, and *Jim.  All of these students are on the Autism Spectrum.  One of the DIS counselors came into my room and asked to see John for a quick second regarding some paperwork.  A lot of the students I work with such as John, can be highly anxious at times, and likes routines.   When there is a disruption in their routine, they can be thrown off and as a result can become very distressed to the point of meltdown.  

With that being said, John didn't hear the quick second, jumped up out of his seat and yelled quite loudly, "I don't want to go with you, you old hag!"  My first thought was, "that's a first, I've never heard "old hag" used as an insult before," my second inappropriate thought was "hilarious!" but because I HAVE a filter, I did not laugh and thought, " a teaching moment has presented itself."  I explained to John that what he said to the DIS counselor was not nice, and that he needs to apologize, which he did, quite sincerely.  The DIS counselor explained to John why she needed him for a short period of time and his response was "oh."  He left with her and when he returned, I used this opportunity to work the group and help him come up with alternatives way to react, versus what he did.  

Another instance with John was when I was once again working with him in a small group.  He comes in and immediately says:  

John: Ms. Sabio, hi. I'm not in a good mood today.

Me: I'm sorry John, how come?

John: It's because I'm tired.  I'm tired because I had to wake up early.  My mom woke me up early and now I'm tired.  That curse-d woman!!

He seems to be an old soul when it comes to insulting others, calling them "old hag" and "that curse-d woman."  I had to use my filter and not laugh, because, once again, I thought it was hilarious.  This was another teaching moment and I had to redirect his choice of words.  As always, he was apologetic and begged me not to tell his mom.  John really is a sweet kid, but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of his bad mood.  Who knows what he would call me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment